The California State Bar approved Mandatory Fee Arbitration Program of the Sonoma County Bar Association handles fee and cost disputes including claims of return of non-earned prepaid fees. Mandatory Fee Arbitration operates under the authority of the California Business & Professions Code sections 6200-6206.
Before a California attorney can proceed to the courts to collect fees and/or costs, they must deliver a “Notice of Client’s Right to Arbitration” either before filing suit or concurrently with the summons and complaint.
If you have been notified by this office of a client’s request to arbitrate a fee dispute with you, you should respond to that request using an “Attorney’s Reply to Client’s Request for Arbitration” form.
Fee Arbitration materials available for download:
- Form: Notice of Client’s Right to Arbitration
- Document: Rules Local Rev. Jan 29 2016 (R 6.13.16)
- Form: Attorney’s Request for Arbitration (Rev. 1-26-16)
- Form: Attorney’s Reply to Client’s Request for Arbitration
- Form: CM 180 Re Automatic Stay
- Document: Notice of Rights After Hearing Rev Feb 2012
- Form: Petition to Confirm, Correct, or Vacate Attorney-Client Fee Arbitration Award (ADR-103)
- Form: Rejection of Award and Request for Trial After Attorney-Client Fee Arbitration (ADR-104)