Date: Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Time: 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm (check-in 11:45 am)
Presenters: Deborah Corlett & Ron Merenbach
Place: Sonoma County Bar Association, 37 Old Courthouse Square, Suite 100 , Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Cost: $50 SCBA Members; $60–Non-Members
MCLE Credit: 2.0 Units of General MCLE Credit
An overview of the basic procedure of administering an estate through the probate process
• Which estates are subject to probate.
• How to commence a probate.
• Steps and issues in the administration of a probate estate.
• Preparing and filing the inventory and appraisal.
• Handling creditor claims.
• Preparing and filing the accounting.
• Addressing issues with income and estate tax returns.
• Filing the petition for final distribution.
Deborah G. Corlett is a business partner with O’Brien Watters & Davis. She emphasizes estate planning, trust administration and probate law and has been Certified as an Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law Specialist by The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. She received a J.D. from Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York.
Ms. Corlett is a past chair of the Sonoma County Bar Trust and Estates Section. She has practiced with O’Brien Watters & Davis for over 17 years.
Ron Merenbach has been the Sonoma County probate examiner since 2004. Originally from San Francisco, he was a sole practitioner in the area of trusts and estates beginning in 1978. His hobbies include reading the obituaries, attending funerals, watching “Autopsy” and “Six Feet Under” on HBO, and celebrating Día de los Muertos. His favorite movie line is “I see dead people.”