Date: Friday, May 6, 2011
Time: 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm (check-in 11:30 am)
Presenters: California State Senator Noreen Evans, Honorable Gary Nadler, Anne Ronan & Lewis Warren
Place: Hyatt Vineyard Creek, 170 Railroad Square, Santa Rosa CA 95401
Cost: $65 SCBA Members; $90–Non-Members
MCLE Credit: 1.5 Units General
- No practitioner can afford to miss this discussion of the Expedited Jury Trials Act, effective January 1, 2011, creating an entirely new voluntary option for completed one-day trial of any civil case before a smaller jury, with limited peremptory challenges and relaxed rules of evidence. Hear from the legislator who drafted the rules and AB 2284, our presiding judicial officer, and a pre-eminent trial attorney.Clients and attorneys will be asking:• Can we use the EJT process for our case?
• Should we?
• What are the costs?
• What are the new Rules of Court and provisions in the Code of Civil Procedure?
• What about appeal rights?
• How will EJT work in Sonoma County Superior Court?
• Can the parties stipulate to privately retain judicial officers?This program is a must for all civil attorneys who want to understand the biggest change in civil procedure in decades.